Prolonged Sitting – the whole story.
Today we live a very sedentary life style which includes a lot of sitting, either in the home or at the office.
Prolonged sitting can lead to many health risks including; cardiovascular disease, diabetes and musculoskeletal issues like chronic low back and neck pain.
As the trend for prolonged sitting seems to continue to increase it makes it very important to understand and act to protect your spinal health.
To protect your spinal health the best strategy is to prevent it and the best way to do that it to maintain good posture.
Some great tips to help maintain good posture and reduce the risk of musculoskeletal issues includes:
– Keep you feet flat on the ground/foot rest.
– Choose an ergonomic chair.
– Your hips shoulder be slightly higher than you knees.
– Sit upright and ensure you are not slouching.
– Stay relaxed.
– Your hands shoulder be lower than your elbows.
– Your computer screen should ensure you are looking straight ahead, not head down.
Other techniques that can ben incorporated includes:
– Take regular breaks, every 45 minutes to stretch and move around.
– Use sit-stand desks when able.
– Use your lunch breaks to enjoy some walking or outdoor time.
– Encourage movement.
These are some great strategies to help combat low back and neck pain due to prolonged sitting posture.
If you do however experience these issues, our experienced chiropractors at ChiroCure Clinic will be here to help assess, treat and prevent this pain going forward.